The Ten Commandments
The First Commandment.
This weeks sermon is by Bishop Silas, Church For All Nations, Kenya
The First Commandment; Exodus 20:3 "Thou shalt have no other gods before me." We must have God for our God. 2 Samuel 22:3 " For who is God besides the LORD? And who is the Rock except our God?" The Lord Jehovah ( one God in three persons) is the true, living, eternal God; and in him we must have the One True Living God for our God.
1. To have God, to be a God to us, is to acknowledge him for a God. The gods of the heathen are idols Psalm 96:5, an idol has no deity in it. If we cry " help o idol" an idol can't help; the idols themselves were carried into captivity, so that an idol is nothing.
2. To have God to be a God to us is to chose him. Joshua 24:15 "But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living.
But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD." Religion is not a matter of chance, but choice. Before choosing God for our God, there must be knowledge. We must know God before we choose him.
3. To have God be a God to us is to enter into a solemn covenant with him, that he shall be our God. After choice, a marriage covenant follows. Isaiah 55:3 " incline your ear and come unto me hear and your soul shall live and I will make an everlasting covenant with you, every sure mercies of David."
4. To have God be a God to us is to give him adoration; which consists in reverencing him. God is to be held in reverence, of all them that worship him. Most of us tend to believe that someone else has more powers than us and that we should submit to them to pray for us, this is a lazy mind that tends to think that someone else can do it for them. That we must have no other god, before me What it means; It means before my face or sight.
5. There is really no other God.
a) Valentinians held there were two gods
b) Polytheists held there were many gods
c) Persians worshipped the sun
d) Egyptians worshipped the ox and elephant
e) The Grecians worshiped Jupiter
6. There is but one Omnipotent Power. Meaning if there be two Omnipotent s we must always suppose a contest between the two and this would have caused a confusion. You can't drive a car with two drivers. What it is to have other gods besides the true God? I fear upon search, we have more Idolaters among us than we are aware of.
1a). Trusting in anything more than God, is to make it God. If we put our faith and our trust in our riches, we make our riches our god. Matthew 13:22 "The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful."
1b). To love anything more than God, is to make it a god. If we love our house so much we make it a god. Our belly, Philippian 3:19 "Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is on earthly things."
The Ten Commandments
Commandment Number One; Exodus 20:3
Commandment Number Two; Exodus 20:4-6
Commandment Number Three; Exodus 20:7
Coming on the 17th July 2022